Therapeutic Horseback Riding Services
Open Position: Volunteer Coordinator (Agape North)
We enjoy coming to work; we love what we do. We love working with each other; we love our donors, riders and families, volunteers, and of course, our horses. We’re motivated by a larger vision, a purpose that continually pushes us to be better and grow stronger. We’re looking for someone that can not only do the job detailed below but share that same passion as we live out our core values: Trust/Respect, Creativity/Flexibility, Patience/Kindness, Integrity, Acceptance/Understanding/Future Focused, Responsibility, Collaboration, and Unconditional Love. We also want to have fun and find joy in what we do.
This position is responsible for managing the volunteers, who give selflessly of their time and talents to Agape, through recruitment, orientation/training, supervision, retention/appreciation, coaching, and education. The Volunteer Coordinator should model the organizational culture and grow the community by building long term volunteer relationships and inspiring enthusiasm and loyalty. Experience and enjoyment of managing people is a must! Horse experience and experiences with disabilities is not required but is preferred, as this person will be providing training to volunteers on how to be successful volunteering with our participants and our horses.
Accountability: This position reports to the North Site Manager
Position Type: Full-time exempt salary position with benefits (Simple IRA and company match, Flexible PTO plan, Health Insurance Stipend, Continuing Education)
Working Hours: 40 hours a week; occasional evenings during the week; some weekend events will be required throughout the year
Location: Agape’s North Site in Cicero, IN
- Maintains current and accurate records for all volunteers per PATH Intl. Standards
- Proactively schedules volunteers for weekly programming needs and finds subs as needed
- Tracks monthly data statistics related to volunteers
- Regularly provides informational updates to the volunteer population through mass emails and specific phone calls.
- Ensure name tags are prepared and organized for each regular volunteer
- Responsible for volunteer performance: Screen, train, and coach volunteers in a manner appropriate to provide enough knowledge and experience necessary to assure quality, safe programming. Be comfortable addressing conflict with volunteers if expectations are not being met.
- Regularly communicate with staff to assure individual volunteers are able to perform duties as assigned. Regularly check in with individual volunteers to assure they are comfortable with the current capacity in which they are serving.
- Coordinate corporate volunteers and work groups with the collaboration of the Facility Manager.
- Participate in programming alongside volunteers and instructors to support riders and volunteers to maintain deep understanding of the volunteer role and the needs of a therapeutic riding lesson.
- Collaborate with the Community Engagement Manager to find volunteers for special events and fundraisers.
- Creates and implements an annual volunteer strategic plan in collaboration with North Site Manager.
Volunteer Education and Training
- Responsible for teaching monthly volunteer orientations for new volunteers (occasional evenings)
- Ensure that the volunteer training manual and materials are updated annually
- Monitor volunteer skill proficiency levels and oversee ongoing skill training opportunities to support their success as a horse handler or sidewalker
- Collaborate with the Equine Director to facilitate Horse Handler Trainings and implement 1:1 training as needed.
- Collaborate with NorthSite Manager and East Site Volunteer Coordinator to offer continuing education opportunities for volunteers related to disabilities and horses to support them in their role.
Volunteer Recruitment and Stewardship
- Provide volunteer appreciation activities/events (possible weekends)
- Create surveys and meet 1:1 with key volunteers to get feedback
- Advocate for volunteers and lead the way with the team as to how to best support volunteers.
- Provide tours to guests when appropriate
- Attend volunteer fairs and find opportunities in the community to help connect new people to the volunteer opportunities at Agape.
- Coordinate and write regular marketing and communications with the Community Engagement Manager for recruitment and stewardship.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Nonprofit Management, Public Administration, Human Resources Management, Communications, or related field.
- Excellent technology proficiency or ability to learn, specifically with web-based systems such as Google Drive, Salesforce, Mailchimp, and various Social Media channels
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- 2 years of experience in managing people (and finds great joy in doing so)
- Demonstrated attention to detail and quality control in work projects
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks; high ability to manage time and remain flexible to meet the unexpected needs of visitors and participants
- Team player with positive, outgoing personality