Stable Assistants work closely with the Barn Coordinator to maintain our horse lots and barn, as well as feeding our herd and monitoring their general health and soundness. Stable Assistants MUST be physically fit and able and must be available on weekends. Stable Assistants are critical to our team by helping ensure that we provide the best experience for our riders, families, schools and, of course, our horses.
10-12 hrs/wk – Weekends Required
OUR VISION: Why we do what we do
We believe that lives can experience healing and joy in an environment where unconditional love and the wonderment of a horse connect, creating a haven for unbridled hope.
OUR MISSION: How we do it
Agape cultivates personal growth by strengthening the mind, body, and spirit through unique horse-facilitated experiences.
This position reports to the Barn Coordinator.
Daily Barn Responsibilities
- Feed and water all equines, including the miniature horses.
- Remove manure from horse lots to maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Clean stall beds and replace bedding as necessary.
- Inspect equines for general health and soundness daily and report any concerns to the Barn Coordinator.
- Empty trash containers in the barn.
- Sweep the barn aisle.
- Clean water troughs.
- Administer medication when necessary according to the feed chart.
- Maintain a standard of excellence in all areas of the facility by ensuring a neat, clean, organized and safe environment for horses and people.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with Agape staff, primarily the Barn Coordinator.
- Must be reliable and trustworthy.
- Have a positive attitude and a mentality of customer service and above reproach stewardship.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must have an Indiana driver’s license
- Must have basic technology skills and proficiencies
- Must have experience with horses
- Knowledge of equine health, wellness, and training
- Personal maturity
- Ability to work independently with integrity
- Strong desire to work as an effective team member
Physically fit to handle labor
Oral/written communication skills
Attention to detail in work projects
Ability to learn