Therapeutic Horseback Riding Services
Each horse at Agape is required to go through a three step evaluation process before being accepted into the program.
This questionnaire will be reviewed by our Equine Director to determine if we should pursue the horse further.
2. Site Visit
Step two involves a visit with Agape’s Equine Director and another staff member wherever the horse is currently living. The horse will be evaluated for health, ground manners, manners under saddle, reaction to props commonly used in therapeutic riding, and general personality.
3. Trial Period
Agape requires the horse go through a 60 day trial at Agape. This allows adequate time for them to adjust to the new environment and be introduced to the work we do. We want to ensure that the horse is not just a good fit for our herd but also that Agape is a good fit for the horse.
Horse Donation FAQs
- 7-18 years old
- Must be in good health
- Serviceably sound at the walk, trot, and canter
- Calm and quiet disposition
- Patient and flexible in new situations
- Experience with arena, horse shows, 4-H, or with children
Agape provides the best care possible for our four-legged team members. All horses at Agape will have:
- Regular veterinary care, vaccination, deworming, and farrier schedule
- Nutritional evaluation and feed needs met daily
- Clean water at all times
- Shelters to get out of the elements
- Live outside in selected herd groups
- Soft tissue therapies such as massage as needed
- The promise and commitment of daily care
- All horses must have a negative coggins test before entering the property
- All horses must be current on their vaccinations, hoof care, and dental care
- Horse must be able to stand quietly while tied without pulling back
- Horses must respond well to being handled by many people every week
- Horses should quietly accept strange objects and sounds with minimal training