Therapeutic Horseback Riding Services
Open Position: Certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor
The time has come for Agape to add more superstar instructors to the team as we continue to change the world with horses. The Instructor role is the heart of our growing organization and is essential for providing quality services to our participants. In addition to remaining up to date and adhering to PATH International standards and procedures, the instructor oversees all aspects of classes. Agape offers therapeutic riding, equine assisted learning, and mini-visit off-site opportunities. Responsibilities include lesson planning, set up, participant oversite, volunteer support, equine management within classes, and recording of goal progress. In addition to teaching responsibilities, part time instructors will also attend team meetings and Agape events as needed.
We enjoy coming to work; we love what we do. We love working with each other; we love our donors, riders and families, volunteers, and of course, our horses. We’re motivated by a larger vision, a purpose that continually pushes us to be better and grow stronger. We’re looking for someone that can not only do the job detailed below but share that same passion and drive. On top of that, we’re going to be pretty picky about your drive for excellence and service, your character, and your smarts. We have a great team and we are doing great work so we don’t take adding a new instructor to our herd lightly. Communication and organization will be crucial to doing this job well. We need a highly organized, self-directed, goal-oriented, tech-savvy, team player committed to Agape’s mission and vision. If that sounds like something you’re looking for, read further…
Riding Instructors report to Site Managers and work closely with the instructional staff, Volunteer Coordinator, Equine Director, Facility Director & Finance Director.
North (Cicero): Weekday Afternoons and Evenings & Saturday Mornings and Afternoons
East (Greenfield): Weekday Afternoon and Evenings
- Meet with the Site Manager, Equine Director, and Program Director as needed
- Communicate regularly with the instructional team regarding class progress, needs, successes, concerns, etc.
- Attend bi-weekly Team Meetings and monthly Instructor Education sessions
- Maintain extensive knowledge of the needs served by Agape, contraindications, and effective interventions
- Continually monitor instructional area and enforce safety rules and procedures
- Design and implement individualized rider lesson plans including goals and objectives and record in Salesforce database.
- Oversee class volunteers, providing support and education as needed, and communicating with volunteer coordinator
- Monitor and support assigned interns and instructors in training, regularly updating the Instructor in Training Mentor and Site Manager
- Document client progress in Salesforce database, communicating updates to caregivers as appropriate
- Maintain rider’s files in Salesforce database
- Complete incident reports as needed in Salesforce database.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and organized facility
- Maintain a working knowledge of equine first aid, common ailments, and issues with soundness
- Monitor the health and behavior of Agapé’s equines, communicating any concerns to the Equine Director
- Other duties as assigned, such as working with new horses, covering feed shifts, or working special events
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Knowledge of PATH Intl. accreditation standards and regulations
- Knowledge of riding equipment and proper use and fit, particularly within adaptive riding equipment
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Basic competency with technology, including email, GSuite, and Salesforce data entry
- Ability to manage one’s time effectively, being able to be present and focused on the needs of clients, equines and volunteers
- Awareness of safety concerns related to horses and people
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a bent towards continual growth and making things better
- Reliable, dependable and a self starter
- Passionate about fulfilling Agape’s mission and being a part of a team work environment